Location: Los Angeles, California
Reports to: Senior Director, Research and Evaluation
Posted: May 2013
Download a pdf of this job posting.
The Eli and Edythe Broad FoundationFounded by entrepreneur Eli Broad and his wife Edythe, both graduates of Detroit Public Schools, The Eli and Edythe Broad Foundation is a philanthropy that seeks to ensure that every student in an urban public school has the opportunity to succeed. Bringing together top education experts and practitioners, the foundation funds system-wide programs and policies that strengthen public schools by creating environments that allow good teachers to do great work and enable students of all backgrounds to learn and thrive. The Broad Foundation believes that K-12 education policies and practices generally have not kept pace with modern teacher and student needs. For example, too often resources do not make it to the classroom, teachers do not receive the support they need, poor and minority students receive unequal learning opportunities, and many talented professionals are discouraged from entering the education sector. The Broad Foundation also believes that students of all backgrounds deserve the opportunity to reach their full potential in school and in life, that teachers deserve the support and working conditions they need to meet individual student needs, grow professionally and feel gratified by and honored for their good work, and that parents of all income levels deserve access to great public schools and the assurance that their child’s teacher has the tools and support she needs to deliver a personalized, world-class education. The Broad Foundation supports bold, innovative changes that will:
- Empower teachers with the time, flexibility, creativity and support to meet individual student needs while reasonably holding leaders, teachers and parents accountable for student growth,
- Ensure adequate funding, resources and materials reach the classroom,
- Meet world-class standards for teaching, learning and operations,
- Attract and retain the best and the brightest Americans—who often turn to other professions—for our public school classrooms and school systems,
- Create quality public school options so that urban parents can send their children to high-quality, public schools, and
- Develop and share new research, data and perspectives with policymakers, practitioners and parents to help create environments that allow good teachers to do great work and enable students of all backgrounds to learn and thrive.
To create school system conditions like these, The Broad Foundation focuses its investments in the following areas:Groundbreaking innovation in teaching and learning. Technology is a tremendous untapped resource to dramatically increase student learning. The Broad Foundation supports schools, policies and nonprofit entrepreneurs who are advancing technologies that enable public school teachers to adapt instruction to meet the personal needs of every student. Modern “blended learning” or “personalized learning” environments are designed to empower teachers with technology that individualizes the pace and style of instruction so all students can make dramatic gains. Smart new learning models like these amplify the effects of great teachers and engage students and parents as active partners in the learning experience.
Transformative federal and state policy. The Broad Foundation supports federal and state policies that remove the barriers to dramatic improvement in student learning and create the human capital, school choice, resource and governance conditions under which districts, schools, teachers and students can succeed. The Broad Foundation helps state education agencies become dynamic, performance-oriented organizations that can adopt and implement bold reforms tied to teacher and student needs. The Broad Foundation also invests in portfolio district models, such as the Recovery School District in Louisiana and the Education Achievement Authority in Detroit, to dramatically improve the opportunities and choices for our nation’s most disadvantaged students.
Redesigned, high-performing institutions. Redesigned school districts, high-quality public charter schools, The Broad Center for the Management of School Systems, The Broad Prize finalist districts and alternative teaching pathways like Teach For America have one thing in common: they have all adopted or created new learning models that produce gains for students of all backgrounds, at scale. The Broad Foundation continues to support these best-in-class institutions and share their tools and practices that make it faster and easier for new leaders to grow high-performing organizations.
The Eli and Edythe Broad Foundation is looking for a senior analyst for research and evaluation and The Broad Prize to serve as the key research and data processing support for the education team.Key responsibilities will include, but not be limited to:
- Managing the production of materials supporting the selection of the winner of The Broad Prize for Urban Education (TBP). The senior analyst will work with the director of The Broad Prize and external vendors to produce the analyses and documents used to select the TBP winner. The senior analyst will be responsible for managing the production process as well as collecting and managing data, reviewing data for accuracy, creating reports and analyses, and attending site visits to finalist districts. Specific tasks include project management, data analysis and review, methodology design, qualitative focus group research and interfacing with both external partners and the external decision makers (review board and selection jury) of TBP.
- Managing the compilation of The Broad Foundation’s end of year report. The senior analyst will manage the process of collecting data from grantees, analyzing the results and compiling and revising the written report. Specific tasks include project management, data analysis and interfacing with both grantees and program officers.
- Support the analysis of student achievement data to assess the impact of grants, including gathering data, producing reports and summarizing results.
- Support the execution of ad hoc projects undertaken by the research and evaluation team each year.
- Outstanding quantitative skills, including a working knowledge of statistics and the ability to process large quantities of data with speed and precision.
- Ability to develop new methodologies and techniques to analyze data.
- Strong research experience with an ability to quickly locate and clearly synthesize information.
- Exceptional attention to detail and the demonstrated ability to produce high-quality, error-free documents and quantitative work products.
- Effective project and time management skills and a proven ability to execute on a number of diverse projects simultaneously and under tight deadlines.
- Excellent communication skills, including superb writing skills.
- Demonstrated personal commitment to the cause of improving public education systems, along with the determination to find creative ways to improve traditional education structures.
- High-level facility with Excel and PowerPoint.
- Experience with qualitative reviews of schools or districts a plus.
- A master’s degree (at a minimum) with a quantitative major (e.g., math, statistics, economics, policy research) from an accredited college or university.
- At least two years of professional work experience, ideally in positions involving quantitative analysis and project management skills.
- The ability to commit to up to 10 percent travel.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced office environment.
- A good sense of humor, positive attitude and high degree of flexibility, dedication, resourcefulness, energy and creativity.
- A high degree of professionalism and the ability to handle sensitive information with discretion.
- Strategic thinker, able to anticipate outcomes and plan ahead.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure and to handle a heavy, diverse workload.
- A personal reputation for integrity and ethics.
- A highly motivated self-starter.
Compensation is competitive and commensurate with skills and experience. Benefits include a variety of health plans and a comprehensive 401(k) retirement savings plan.To Apply
Interested candidates should apply with a letter of interest and resume to email@example.com. Please include the job title, “Senior Analyst” in the subject line. Employment is contingent on writing and work samples and satisfactory background and reference check, which will include a full credit and criminal report as well as verifications of employment and educational records. You must be legally entitled to work in the United States for any employer.
We will only contact applicants chosen for further consideration.Equal Opportunity Employer
The Eli and Edythe Broad Foundation does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, ethnic or national origin, age, disability, gender, sexual orientation or other characteristic covered by law with regard to employment opportunities.
The statements in this description represent typical elements, criteria, and general work performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required for the job.